Welcome to another edition of the “The Valero Verdict” movie review. In this I will give you a quick movie review with a couple of bullet points of which I either liked or disliked. I will end the review with rating of the movie and a short overall thoughts.
On the docket today, Us the highly anticipated second movie from Oscar winner Jordan Peele.
- Lupita Nyong’o was brilliant in this film. Both version of her. She played a wide range of emotions all wrapped up in both of her characters. She’s riveting, smart, and a down right bad ass in this film.
- This movie is EXTREMELY CREEPY!!!!!
- Typical Horror movies like to have way too many funny moments in a film, not this one. It had it’s comedic relief in Winston Duke but it was perfectly timed comedy, not over done.
- We are early in the year but let’s go ahead and hand Michael Abels the Oscar for his Score in this film.
- Peele’s writing is damn right scary, I have never been captivated in a Horror film the way I was in this. I was creeped out all while battling with the inner thoughts in my head about overcoming
**** 1/2 out of 5 stars
To be able to tell a compelling story within a creepy horror movie is not easy at all. This movie was the battle within us all and how we can overcome that. Most horror movies focus on “jump scares”, killings and satisfactory ending, this movie was the complete opposite. Peele gives you a reason to care about the characters, he puts Lupita in a position to just do what she is good at and act her ass off.
The rest of the cast was great, the Score is perfection (I expect an Oscar nomination), its visually haunting, edited to perfection and Peele has officially made me want to never go to the fair again.
Should You See it?: What are you waiting for? Peele is turning himself into one of the best Writer/Directors in the world. The story within the extreme craziness is worth the price of admission alone.
Tell me what you thought of the movie, hit me up on here or talk to me on Twitter @RickyValero_