Welcome to another edition of the “The Valero Verdict” movie review. In this I will give you a quick movie review with a couple of bullet points of which I either liked or disliked. I will end the review with rating of the movie and a short overall thoughts.
On the docket today, the Vincent D’Onofrio directed film about a young boy who witnesses Billy the Kid’s encounter with Sheriff Pat Garrett
- Dane DeHaan is perfect as Billy the Kid. He just has this perfect witty, sarcastic charm that can’t make you not like him. He was in the movie with some heavy hitters and held his own on every occasion
- The introduction to Jake Schur….. I was totally impressed by not only this kid’s ability to act but to show some raw emotion in some really tough to watch scenes. For his first movie ever, I was shocked that this kid not only was as good as he was but really stole the show. Which was impressive considering the cast.
- Ethan Hawke. He is easily becoming one of the best actors of our generation. We are truly blessed every time this man is in a movie anymore.
- D’Onofrio directed a very well shot, very well told and very well put together film. When it started slow, I was concerned, but as all the pieces started to come together, you understood why the slow build. The payoff was well worth the wait.
- The little things, like the shootouts. There aren’t many of them but when they happen, they mean something and they are brilliantly shot.
**** 1/2 out *****
I am not a huge fan of Westerns but D’Onofrio knocked this one out of the ball park. With each Act came more and more layers to peel off with such a massive payoff at the end. You can’t help but come away from this movie satisfied. From DeHann to Schur to Hawke, the acting was top notch. One of the best films of 2019 so far.
Should You See It?: Well it’s only sitting in roughly 258 theaters right now, but if you get a chance to see it, do it. Ignore the bad reviews on this film and go see this movie.
Tell me what you thought of the movie, hit me up on here or talk to me on Twitter@rickygangster