Welcome to another edition of the “The Valero Verdict” movie review. In this I will give you a quick movie review with a couple of bullet points of which I either liked or disliked. I will end the review with rating of the movie and a short overall thoughts.
On the docket today, Triple Frontier. The big budget heist film from Netflix starring Ben Affleck.
- Let’s start with the soundtrack because it was certifiable bad ass. From Metallica to CCR to Bob Dylan to Pantera, it was loaded with some great songs and placed in the right spots throughout the film.
- Good guys actually die, I HATE in action/shooting movies and everyone makes it out alive.
- The action sequences were well shot, from the first one on, they were well placed, they were well shot and they felt meaningful. Sometimes you have sequences with action/shooting in films and you are often like, “why did that even happen”, it was refreshing not to have that in this film.
- The goal in mind wasn’t an easily obtainable goal, they didn’t walk in, take what they wanted and walk out without any issues. That in itself was worth the price of admission. (well a fraction of my $9.99 Netflix hits me with)
- Does Charlie Hunnam act as anyone other than Jax in any of his movies? Is it just me? You really could take his whole entire presence and pick it up and set it in a Sons of Anarchy scene and it would work. Just kind of bugs me.
- Favorite quote: “Great trip boys, this turned out to be some full on cowboy shit.”
*** out of ***** stars
This what I believe in Hollywood is a Popcorn flick, it isn’t your most well acted, it’s not the best script, and no one is winning any Oscars but it’s a very fun action flick.
Isaac was easily the star of the show, I felt like he portrayed his character fine in this and was easily the best thing about this film. The rest of the acting was just fine, Affleck was Affleck, Hunnam was Jax and the rest of the cast was okay.
The story isn’t going to knock your socks off but you are going to enjoy some fun shooting, with a decent story and a solid twist or two.
Should You See It?: Toss some popcorn in the microwave, sit down and enjoy an action packed heist movie.
Tell me what you thought of the movie, hit me up on here or talk to me on Twitter @RickyValero_