Welcome to another edition of the “The Valero Verdict” movie review. In this I will give you a quick movie review with a couple of bullet points of which I either liked or disliked. I will end the review with rating of the movie and a short overall thoughts.
On the docket today, the final installment of the Fox led X-men movies, Dark Phoenix.
- Sophie Turner has real potential to break out and be a massive star in the world of film. I think the growth we saw in Game of Thrones from season 1 to 8 was just a tease of what the future holds for her. I think she worked well in this movie but the script didn’t help her out at all.
- Fassbender as Magneto is straight money, I would truly love to see him in this role again for a Marvel led film.
- The script just felt like one big mess. The first act dragged on for what seemed forever and did we ever get a backstory on the villains? I don’t think so, they just appeared and that was that.
- When we had action, it was fun. I think the third act was rather fun. It was one collective last time they got the group together to save the world. I liked it.
- Anyone else notice the ending was eerily similar to the ending of The Dark Knight Rises? Also, you could see why they had to change the ending of the film after Infinity War came out as well.
* & 1/2 out of *****
This is one of those times where you can say, no matter how much star power you have in one film, a bad script is a bad script they can’t even save it. That’s what this was, some solid individual performances amongst the star-studded cast but a MASSIVE let down for this being the last film with this crew (potentially). First Class was such an amazing film and it truly just went down hill from that movie.
Should You See It?: Hard pass. If you have seen all of these movies, sure check it out but wait till Redbox or On-Demand. The theaters are packed with other great films to check out right now instead.
Subscribe to the Valero Verdict podcast on all your favorite Podcasting apps. Check it out here: https://anchor.fm/thevaleroverdict
Tell me what you thought of the movie, hit me up on here or talk to me on Twitter@RickyValero_