Welcome to another edition of the “The Valero Verdict” movie review. In this I will give you a quick movie review with a couple of bullet points of which I either liked or disliked. I will end the review with rating of the movie and a short overall thoughts.
On the docket today, the trillionth Disney live action remake the Lion King.
- Plot: After the murder of his father, a young lion prince flees his kingdom only to learn the true meaning of responsibility and bravery.
Did you see the 1994 movie? Yeah same thing.
- Directing/Writing: Jon Favreau/Jeff Nathanson
Was there really anything to write? Take the original animated script and flip it into this CGI Live Action remake.
Nathason has written some masterpieces (The Terminal/Catch Me If You Can) and now he can throw this next to the awful ones he has written Speed 2 and Tower Heist.
I like Favreau, He directed the Jungle Book Live Action movie that I really liked. This was brutal.
- Acting?: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Donald Glover, Beyonce, Seth Rogen, Billy Eichner, John Earl Jones and a host of others.
Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner were BRILLIANT!!!!! I want about 35 movies with these two as Timon and Pumbaa. I think I was borderline about to fall asleep and these two hit the screen and I was awake. I can’t preach enough how these two were perfect for this role, AMAZING casting.
Glover = ok
Beyonce = Meh
Ejiofor = Good
- Soundtrack: I wasn’t fond of the new song by Beyonce, I don’t think it added anything to the movie and just wasn’t very good. The original songs that were done in the film were just fine.
- Cinematography: The movie was stunning, is anyone actually surprised? I for sure wasn’t, you fully expect these sort of things out of Disney.
- Enjoyment: MEH!!!!
* out of ***** gavels
Look, the movie was 99% identical to the original from 1994 and I guess that is what they were going for. Eichner/Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa was LITERALLY the best part of this entire movie, without the joy I got from these two, I would’ve gave this movie negative 10 stars. This is one of the worst movies of the year, it as boring, it was uneventful and just stupid. But hey, Disney is cashing that fat check again.
Should You See It?: If your kid ask you to go see this, PUT THEM UP FOR ADOPTION. Don’t waste your time, between this and Dumbo, I don’t know which movie was a worse Live Action remake.
Subscribe to the Valero Verdict podcast on all your favorite Podcasting apps. Check it out here: https://anchor.fm/thevaleroverdict
Tell me what you thought of the movie, hit me up on here or talk to me on Twitter@RickyValero_