I had the opportunity to see an advance screener of You’re Next thanks to Cinemit & GoFobo. When I first saw the trailer I knew this would be a movie that I would have to see in theaters. I am not a huge horror movie fan, especially the direction they have pulled with so many found footage films over the last few years. So as I was excited to see what this movie could bring to the table I was equally optimistic. So after seeing the movie I am going to give you the 10 things I did and didn’t like about the movie.
Story: When the Davison family comes under attack during their wedding anniversary getaway, the gang of mysterious killers soon learns that one of the victims harbors a secret talent for fighting back.
1. This was the 1st film I have ever seen of Adam Wingard’s and I won’t lie it was a pretty impressive 1st impression. From start to finish he built a solid story that kept you guessing. It had a very nice slow build when they were introducing the characters and BAM right into some serious bloodshed. It was everything that I enjoy about a good horror movie.
He really put together some awesome action/kill scenes in the film. Whether it was a dumb move from the “bad guy” or it was a smartly place board with nails in it, he really went out of his way to make some really cool killings.
2. There were some nice twist and turns. You could see some coming and then you had a few that were a nice surprise as well.
3. The score/music. Every great horror movie has some great music/score. This had it in here and I loved every minute of it. When killing someone in a movie it can really be ruined by either a crappy set up or a poor score.
4. I really liked the dysfunctional family idea they had for this. It wasn’t a perfect family that was unexpectedly attacked.
5. Sharni Vinson (Erin) was nice on the eyes and was the star of the show.
6. They made the vocal point of the movie the killings. That isn’t done in many horror movies anymore.
7. The Ending was awesome. That’s all I will say about that.
8. I guess you could complain about the acting, but with a low budget horror movie you get a bunch of C and D list acting.
9. They had some poor attempts at some comedy that came off pretty rough.
10. Lastly, I would have liked to see a bit more gore and blood. It wasn’t over the top like “Evil Dead” was this year but they could’ve made it a little bit more gory.
4 out of 5 stars
Overall this is the best horror movie I have seen in a long time. Wingard brought a lot of key components to this movie that I really enjoy. I enjoyed the smart killings, the various ways of how he killed some people and they provided an awesome score to go with the flow of the movie. I would recommend any horror fans to see this movie this weekend when it comes out.
You’re Next comes out in theaters this Friday.
I’m not a big scary movie person, but I really enjoyed this. I screamed one minute and laughed right after. There was a point I was saying,”I hope her boyfriend don’t walk through that door and die, he the last family member left”,and then he made that phone call and I was praying he walked through the door lol. I too loved the ending. I am wondering if there will be a part 2 because everyone died but her. Now to me it seems as if she not gonna stay there because all those ppl dead and how do u really explain that. I mean u can, but it would sound awful skeptical. What if she turns into a killer from killing all those people? What if she overheard a conversation we don’t know about between the brother and her boyfriend and went on the trip to do her own thing? I could go on and on and what if lol. I just can’t see there not being a part 2 especially with it not showing what happened with her.
I do think they have an oppurtunity for the sequel. I was as well hoping the BF would get the axe to the face but it was a nice plot twist that he didn’t get it actually. Or they could do a sequel where friends of the other guys target her maybe 5 years later.