The parade of injured stars continues as a few more linebackers have gone down for the year. It’s never a good thing when the injury list is larger than the waiver list:
IDP Injuries of note:
- Chandler Jones (NE DE): Jones had another great game and all was just peachy until word came out early this week that Jones has a hip injury and could miss a month. There hasn’t been definitive word but make other plans for the immediate future.
- Andre Branch (JAC DE): Branch was trying to play through a groin injury in week 7 but aggravated it to the point that he will likely be out a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Justin Tuck (OAK DE): Tuck missed week 7 with a bad knee after being listed as questionable. I would look elsewhere at this point.
- Da’Quan Bowers (TB DE): Bowers has been suspended for two games for PED use. You probably won’t even notice he is gone as he has only one sack on the year.
- Ahtyba Rubin (CLE DE): Rubin has struggled this year and the injured ankle may need surgery. No need to worry about him moving forward for this year.
- Paul Posluszny (JAC LB): He was his usual solid self this year but that came to an end in week 7. A torn pectoral will end his season. JT Thomas looks to fill in the middle for Poz, however there probably isn’t much IDP value. Telvin Smith would be the linebacker to take a chance on as he has started to improve and this may clear a way to more playing time.
- Brian Orakpo (WAS LB): Stop me if you have heard this before. Orakpo is done for the year with a torn pectoral. No, this isn’t a repeat from previous seasons. He did it again. When healthy he is a big play option but that health part is beginning to be too much of an issue to overcome. Take a look at Trent Murphy, starting opposite Ryan Kerrigan. He may get a shot for some big plays.
- Jon Beason (NYG LB): Beason is still suffering from his toe injury. He is getting opinions from all over and season ending surgery is very possible.
- Jerrell Freeman (IND LB): Freeman has a hip pointer now. It caused him to miss some time in week 7 but he did return. It’s just something to monitor as the week moves along.
- Vontaze Burfict (CIN LB): another week another upper body injury to Burfict. This time it’s a strained neck. I would just steer clear from this guy at this point.
- Rey Maualuga (CIN LB): was inactive in Week #7 and is expected to miss a few more weeks with a hamstring injury. The Bengals LB core is banged up with Burfict, Maualaga, & Emmanuel Lamur all are dinged. This leaves Vincent Rey an intriguing play.
- Kyle Fuller (CHI DB): left the game with a hip pointer and it was later discovered also broke his hand. He is looking like he’ll play with a club on his hand so I would stay away since his value is highly tied to his ability to intercept passes. Now he has to try with a club on his hand.
- Brandon Flowers (SD DB): Flowers left last week’s game with a concussion and has been ruled out for this week’s game against Denver.
- Jason Verrett (SD DB): Verrett is dealing with a shoulder injury and is looking doubtful for this week’s game against Denver. Richard Marshall and Shareece Wright are going to get all they can handle against the Broncos.
- Darrelle Revis (NE DB): Revis was sent home from practice because he was late to a meeting. It doesn’t look like he will be disciplined any further so he should be fine this week against the Bears.
- Usama Young (OAK DB): Young tore his ACL and MCL and is done for the year. Brandian Ross will replace him and will get plenty of opportunities. It just makes the poor Raiders defense even worse, which sometimes helps in the IDP world.
- Eric Berry (KC DB): Berry was nearing a return last week and then suffered a setback. I wouldn’t plan on him for week 8.
Who’s on the wire?
- Jay Ratliff (CHI DT): Ratfliff had a huge week with 5 solos and 3.5 sacks. He hasn’t done much this year and missed a few games but the Chicago defensive line is playing quite well. I believe this was more of an aberration then a sign of things to come. Don’t waste your time on this part-time player.
- Terrell Suggs (BAL DE): Suggs had a sack for a second straight week. This could be a sign he is heating up and the Ravens are playing well and getting leads. I don’t fully buy in but if you have a spot to stash a guy and Suggs is available he might be worth the flyer.
- Charles Johnson (CAR DE): Johnson got off the a terrible start which may have led to impatient owners dropping him. If he is out there you need to go get him. He is heating up and had a sack (second straight week) and 5 solos. He has the pedigree and should be rostered.
- Jason Pierre-Paul (NYG DE): I had him in this section last week and he went off for two more sacks and 6 solos. If you didn’t take my advice and JPP is still available you better get him now as he won’t be there next week.
- Robert Quinn (STL DE): Quinn finally picked up a sack. It only took 7 weeks for last season’s sack leader. If he was dropped this could be the sign of him heating up.
- Brandon Marshall (DEN LB): Marshall went back to his early season roll as the every down linebacker with Trevathan out indefinitely. Marshall is a must own if he’s out there.
- Mychal Kendricks (PHI LB): Kendricks is starting to practice and if he was dropped and you have an open roster spot he is most definitely worth the stash. Get him if you can.
- Trent Murphy (WAS LB): Murphy is a guy to just keep an eye on. He will be replacing Brian Orakpo and getting the opportunity across from Ryan Kerrigan so he should have the opportunity to make an impact.
- Dont’a Hightower & Jamie Collins (NE LB): Both put up huge numbers last week but with the injury to Chandler Jones it remains to be seen how their usage will be impacted. I think both are worthy pickups but the high tackle numbers may go down on one or the other while the big play (rush LB) opportunity may increase. If I had to guess I would say Hightower remains inside and Collins gets shifted outside.
- Brandian Ross (Oak DB): Ross will replace Usama Young and should start for the foreseeable future. Ross is nothing special but the Raiders will be on defense a lot so the opportunity will be there.
- Richard Marshall (SD DB): With the Broncos on the slate for week 8 and the starting corners for the Chargers out with injury expect the new guys to get picked on. This is fantasy gold for IDP players. Marshall should get lots of tackle opportunities.
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (GB DB): He finally got the start and played in 100% of the snaps while tallying 8 solo tackles.His time has come and he has a great matchup against the Saints this week. Expect a big week and nearing a must start from here on out. If he is on the waiver wire, pick him up.
Shane Gallimore is a fantasy football contributor for The Sports Script. Follow him on Twitter @Gally4!