Thor: The Dark World is one of the most anticipated films of the fall by quite a few (including myself). I am a huge fan of the Marvel films as they all have been well done. But with all the success I have been concern that maybe they will just start throwing movies out just to make the movies. So I went to see the movie yesterday in 3D and below I give you my 7 things I did or didn’t like about the film.
Chris Hemsworth – Thor
Natalie Portman – Jane Foster
Tom Hiddleston – Loki
Anthony Hopkins – Odin
Christopher Eccleston – Malekith
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje – Algrim/Kurse
Rene Russo – Frigga
Idris Elba – Heimdall
Jaimie Alexander – Sif
Ray Stevenson – Volstagg
Zachary Levi – Fandral
Tadanobu Asano – Hogun
Stellan Skarsgard – Dr. Erik Selvig
Kat Dennings – Darcy
Jonathan Howard – Ian
Chris O’Dowd – Richard
Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.
Thor: The Dark World Review
1. Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) came on board to direct the sequel of the Marvel hit Thor. I really enjoyed the 1st one and I had high hopes and he didn’t let me down either. Taylor did an amazing job of bringing all Nine worlds together and making sense while he did it. The story was great, the acting was superb and he took it all together and made one hell of a film.
If you watch the 1st film and the 2nd the transformation of Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is unreal. Taylor did a great job of turning Thor into a real Super Hero; he did a great job following up the Avengers in what really brought Thor to the table more so than the original film.
He also put together some great meaningful scenes between Thor, Odin, Loki and Frigga. I applaud him for the way he brought the interaction between Earth and back to Asgard and back to earth again. At no point in this film were you not anticipating what was going to happen next.
2. Chris Hemsworth as Thor: Like I stated earlier the transformation of Thor from Thor to The Avengers to Thor: the Dark World has been amazing. Hemsworth is putting himself in that group of fellow comic book actors as not being able to see anyone else play the role of Thor.
He brings so much to the table as Thor: He brings the good-looking, good acting, nice witty charm and the believability of being an ass kicking Superhero. He has easily turned a character that I didn’t like that much into something I enjoy and look forward to seeing on the screen again.
3. Tom Hiddleston as Loki: He has turned Loki into one of my favorite Comic-Book villain ever portrayed on the big screen. Though his on-screen time in this was not as much as in the previous two movies, he still shined when he was on the screen. He is such a talented actor that brings so much to the Loki character. They really have to find a way to try to get him in the 3rd movie if there will be one.
4. Visually Stunning: All the Marvel movies have been great to see on the eyes but I think this one was one of the best. Across the Nine worlds (those we got to see) was just truly amazing to see. Asgard is at the top of the list for sure.
5. The Supporting Cast: As you can tell on the list above the cast in this film is insane. Whether it’s Anthony Hopkins as Odin or Idris Elba as Heimdale each supporting role has some great scenes throughout the film. Natalie Portman is a great actress and fits the role of Jane Foster really well; she is a type of actress that they really lacked in the Lois Lane (Amy Adams) character in Man of Steel. Not saying she should’ve played it but Portman brings so much more to the table as Foster than Adams did as Lane. Rene Russo (Frigga) has some key pivotal scenes in the movie that made you truly care about her character.
The smaller role like Chris O’Dowd (Richard) plays an intern to Darcy (Kat Dennings) who both had some good lines in the film.
6. The 3D aspect – Well I am finally off my high horse about films in 3D (for now anyway). Thor: the Dark World was well worth seeing in 3D even if it’s just see the stunning view of Asgard but they did a good job of using the 3D in this films and hope more films follow this trait.
7. Action Scenes: This was filled with some action packed fight scenes that were lacking in the 1st film. Thor with the opening scene (which can be seen in the trailer) knocking the crap out of that big villain was great. Then you had the fighting between the worlds that was really cool as well.
8. We had two funny cameos that you need to look out for. (Not spoiling them).
Also make sure you stay for the after the 1st set of credits and the 2nd set of credits.
The Final Verdict
4 ½ out of 5 stars
Alan Taylor brought us the best Comic Book movie of the year. This was an action packed ride that had you from the start to the finish. The way he was able to bring all nine worlds together and make it matter was great. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston bring so much to this franchise and I would like them to hop on board for a 3rd film as well.
One of my must see movies of the fall didn’t disappoint one bit.
Thor: The Dark World is in theaters now.