I am here with a new MLB Power Ranking and News article that will bringing you weekly. It’ll consist of who I think are the Top 10 teams in baseball, as well as news and notes from the week that it was.
1. St. Louis Cardinals (44-25) – They currently have the best record in baseball right now and they’re doing it powered behind their hitting and great pitching. They are ranked 2nd in BA, 3rd in Runs, 1st in ERA, and 4th in WHIP. The Cardinals are clicking on all cylinders right before the All-Star break.
2. Boston Red Sox (42-29) – Much to my surprise, they’re sitting atop the AL East and also have the best record in the AL. Boston isn’t sitting comfortably though with the O’s, Yankees, and Rays all within 5 games of them. For a team I thought would finish in the basement, the Red Sox are playing good baseball.
3. Cincinnati Reds (42-28) – The Reds are sitting only 2.5 games back from the Cardinals, but they aren’t playing “great” baseball right now either. They need to get it going as they have the Pirates right on their tails.
4. Oakland A’s (42-29) – Avoided a sweep by the Mariners yesterday, but they sit in 1st place of the AL West right now. Though the lead is only 2.5 games, this is a team that normally struggles early in the season.
5. Pittsburgh Pirates (41-28) – It’s unbelievable they have the record they do. Pittsburgh is 13 games above .500 even though they are only +18 in the run column. They’re ranked in the bottom half in a majority of all hitting categories. If the Pirates plan on contending, they must start hitting better.
6. Baltimore O’s (40-30) – This team is being carried by Chris Davis and the rest of the offense. They’re ranked 29th in ERA and 21st in BAA, which if they have any postseason hopes, they must change in a hurry.
7. Atlanta Braves (40-28) – This team has struggled all month-long. The Braves are 4-6 in their last 10 games and very lucky the Nationals have caught the injury bug.
8. Detroit Tigers (38-29) – They have won 7 out of the past 10 and are slowly starting to pull away with the Central.
9. Arizona Diamondbacks (37-32) – Diamondbacks are sitting on top of the NL West but are struggling in the month of June. With 3 other teams within 2 games of them, they need to play some better baseball.
10. San Diego Padres (35-34) – The Padres currently have the longest win streak in all of baseball at 6 games. They have closed in within 2 games of the 1st place D’backs.
Hitter of the Week – Adam Dunn – (.389, 4 HRs & 8 RBIs) – On June 10th he went 4-4 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs.
Pitcher of the Week – Yovani Gallardo (2-0, 0.00 ERA & 9 SO) – He had 2 dominating performances this week and didn’t give up one run in either start.
News & Notes
Will Myers is scheduled to get the call up for the Rays this week. Myers has 14 HRs this season in Durham and will be called up from Triple-A in time for the Double Header against the Red Sox Tuesday.
Rookie Gerrit Cole gets his 2nd win in as many starts. The Rookie has looked impressive in his first 2 starts in the big leagues. Just another solid addition to an already loaded rotation in Pittsburgh.
Zack Wheeler was called up by the New York Mets. Wheeler finally gets to show his stuff in the majors this week. It’ll be interesting to see what he can bring to the table for a team with little hope of anything this year.
Stephen Strasburg returned to the Nationals and couldn’t have come back at a better time. The Nationals really need him as they are struggling to stay afloat in the NL East & Wild Card picture.
Torii Hunter hit his 300th career HR on Sunday. His 1st career came against the Twins just as his 300th. Hunter has been a great addition to the Tigers this season. He has provided some good offense as well as a leader in the clubhouse.